Thursday, April 25, 2013

Will Eisner as an Idolization

Will Eisner has always been a big inspiration for me. I am by no means a Disney nut but the linework that exists in Will's illustrations were brilliant touches of ink and brush. I've never had more respect for anybody else's linework. Not only that part of his career but combining it with his work on the comic strip "The Spirit" seals the deal. Inventor of the splash panel, these illustrative thin the line between realistic rendering and graphic understanding. To really tell a narrative and have characters that live more than the others.

To discuss a difference between my work and his it would have to be in trusting my more expressionistic lines. Will's work all has a flow... lines flow into lines to build a whole and it is all handled very elegantly. My process begins in a far more chaotic manner in which I work to put on paper the chaotic design developing in my noggin. My work is an appreciator of his, but in no way do I feel follows the same creative process.

http://www.willeisner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment